Sunday, February 19, 2012

How to Ask the Right Questions in Sales

When you are selling yourself or a product, you need to ask the right questions.  The goal is to not talk the whole time, but to guide the questions in a way that they reveal the right information to you with little effort.  You need to be able to prepare yourself by doing your homework before the meeting.  You will need to know What you are going to ask, Why you are asking the question, and How you will ask the question.  The point of this is that any question you ask can be tweaked slightly to get more information from your prospect.  As a sales professional, you need to uncover the prospects needs before you can give a proper presentation.
http://leansixsigmasource.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/istock_qa-sign_xsmall.jpg

What question am I asking?  I am asking a question about productivity.

Why am I asking this question?  Suppose I need to find out if my client is lacking in productivity and I know my product can help solve that problem.

How am I going to ask this question?  I will ask it in a way that I know the prospect will say that they are lacking in productivity.  I might ask it like this:  "How much time are you spending putting together reports to help your sales staff?"  I know that my product will save them time in this area, so that will be a perfect question.


If you follow these steps with every question you plan on asking, you will dig up much more information from your client in a non-evasive way.  You will find out the needs of your prospect, and you can continue into your sales presentation focusing on the needs you just uncovered.

1 comment:

  1. How do you publish your blogs? Your website looks great! :
    Can you just give me the secret of your success as a blogger? I have a flair for writing and am also looking to get a foothold in the online world. I am eagerly awaiting your return comment. I visited some sites like blog.thezop.com, small business marketing services, and www.envato.com. Do you know anything about these portals? If so, give me a hint whether I can submit my work with them or not? Please do reply, as I badly want to earn some cash through my writing.

    ReplyDelete